I’d like to let my readers in on my latest and greatest shopping secret, Hautelook! A part of the Nordstrom family, HauteLook is an online store offering exclusive sale events for top fashion and lifestyle brands at prices up to 75% off. They currently have the Balm cosmetics on their event page as well, one of my favorite brands! They sell everything from Women, Men, Kids, Home, and Beauty.
The company constantly brings in new sales and brands. Each “event” only lasts for a few days, so be sure to scoop up any good finds sooner rather than later. Hautelook has even created a new partnership with Nordstrom Rack, and you can return your purchases to a brick and mortar Rack store as well.
Sign up here to create an account (it’s free!): http://www.hautelook.com/short/3Papx
I recently won 3 free months of lash extensions from a local salon in Beverly Hills, Nzuri Lash. They had an event on the night of the Golden Globes and were giving away prize packages. I was so thrilled to win as I’ve been curious about lash extensions for months now. I wanted to give my readers a full run down if they are worth the investment, keep reading below the pictures to find out!
Overall, I loved the lashes and thought Nzuri Lash did an exceptional job. If you’re considering getting lash extensions, first and foremost I would recommend going to a reputable salon that uses high quality lashes and glue and only glues one extension to each lash. If you use a less expensive salon, sometimes they glue more than 1 of your lashes onto one extension, which can be damaging. I would definitely recommend Nzuri Lash to all my readers!
The process involves getting one lash extension glued to your existing lash. It’s completely safe and harmless to your real lashes as you naturally lose 1-5 lashes per day and the extensions just fall off with your natural eyelash. It didn’t hurt to have them put on, just felt a bit awkward at first and they have to tape down your bottom lashes, but your eyes are closed the entire time. There are some definite pros and cons to getting lash extensions.
- Your lashes look great from the moment you wake up and no mascara is needed!
- The length and volume of your lashes is sometimes even better than you could achieve with mascara.
- They are weightless and you can’t feel them at all (unlike false lashes).
- It only takes about 30 minutes for a fill-in (after you lose some lashes) or up to an hour for a full set (your first application).
- You can shower, swim, and do pretty much anything in them (as long as you’re careful). You can also wear makeup with them.
- You get lots of compliments on them
- They can be a bit pricey (this service would have cost me $200 for my first full set and $65 for each fill).
- They do require maintenance. You can’t really let moisture stay on your lashes, so you need to blow dry them after you shower and be very careful when washing your face. It makes taking off eye make-up a bit tricky.
- They can look a bit awkward as your lashes grow out and sometimes go every which way (brushing them daily with the wand the salon gives you does help).
- If you want to keep them up, you need to get them filled every 2-3 weeks.
- Everything you use on your face must be oil-free or the glue will wear away.
Bottom line is your lashes will last longer if you baby them. I love my lash extensions, but don’t think they are necessarily worth the investment. They are fun to try, and might be best for a beach vacation, wedding, or special event. I don’t think they are worth the cost on an everyday basis. I’d definitely recommend trying them though!
My all-time favorite black liquid eye liner is from Stila. Stila’s Stay Proof Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner applies extremely well with it’s easy to use thin, marker-like pen. This eye liner makes creating a winged liner look incredibly easy and doesn’t smudge or run. Overall, I love this product, but it’s a bit pricey at $20.
I found a very comparable “dupe” pictured belong with the Stila liner. Milani’s Eye Tech Extreme Liquid Eye Liner also serves as a great liner, especially for creating winged or dramatic looks. It also comes with a felt-tip point marker that doesn’t smudge or smear. It’s a very comparable product at a much lower price, only $7. I would say the only difference is that the Stila liner doesn’t dry out as fast, but each liner lasted me at least 6 months. Otherwise, I think the Milani product does just as well!
LF usually has 2 sales a year where all their original prices are discounted at 60% or more! I love LF – it’s a very trendy and unique women’s boutique. They have several locations throughout the US and a few in Los Angeles. My favorite LA location is the one on Larchmont. http://www.lfstores.com
Their clothing is normally very expensive so the sales make the clothes about averaged priced compared to other boutiques. Their sale comes in 2 phases: the first markdowns followed by additional markdowns about 1-2 weeks later. In my opinion, the prices are usually too high at the first markdown with the exception of dresses and designer shoes. I usually go after the second markdown unless I want some Jeffrey Campbells
See below for all my finds during their fall/winter season sale!
1. I picked up a unique blue leopard print pair of my all-time favorite pants brand, Carmar. This brand fits me extremely well and come in mid and high rise. I got them for $48, originally priced at $184.
2. I love the LF sweaters from their fall/winter collection. This high-low cardigan was the perfect, comfy fit for me. It’s longer in the front 2 ends and bit shorter in the back. I got it for $48, originally $178.
3. I picked up 2 of the same tops in different colors. I am in love with lightweight long sleeve shirts that are slim, yet long fitting. These long sleeve shirts are so flattering! I got them for $18, originally $78.
I’ve been out of my favorite curly hair product for awhile now, and finally stocked up! See the picture below for proof of my obsession with Catwalk by Tigi’s Curls Rock Amplifier. ;)
The is the best styling cream I’ve come across for particularly curly hair. I’m not sure how well it would work on wavy hair as the serum is a bit thicker. This product is great to style your curls with after washing – so they stay defined yet not crunchy or frizzy. I love it! I recommend getting at Ulta when the Tigi brand is buy 2 get 1 free like I did. You can buy any product from Tigi (it doesn’t all have to be the same product). It’s a bit pricey at $18, but totally worth it!
My favorite cleansing facial wipes are made by Simple Skincare (check them out here). The wipes are great for removing makeup or washing your skin when you’re really lazy. I love that they are very gentle, as I have sensitive skin and most other wipes irritate me. They are also recommended by Allure magazine.
The normal pack of 25 wipes sells for around $6. I went to Target today though, and saw that they now offer a 2 pack of 50 wipes for only $8! I couldn’t tell from the shelf set if this was a permanent or limited offer. I hope it stays, because it’s a great deal for an awesome product. Go try Simple’s cleansing facial wipes if you haven’t already.
I love doing ombre nail designs, and it’s actually easier than you’d think! See below for a step-by-step instruction guide on how to recreate on your own ombre nails.
Here are the supplies you need: Nail polish remover, 2 complementary colors of your choice for the design, nail file/buffer, cotton pads & Q tips, and most importantly a makeup sponge (any shape will work).
Remove any prior nail polish, file nails, and buff each nail to smooth and ensure polish stays longer. Apply your 1st polish color all over each nail, and wait to dry completely (at least 30 minutes).
Next, involves creating the ombre design. Apply 2 strips of color on the makeup sponge using your colors (each about the same width and just long enough to cover the top half of your nail). Don’t let the colors dry, and quickly pat softly on your nail – focusing the complementary color towards the top of your nail.
The sponging technique is actually very easy! Your final result should look something like this:
Clean up any polish on the skin with some Q tips and nail polish remover.
Finish with a clear top coat and let dry completely. Your beautiful ombre nails are now complete!