I’m so excited for my first BeautyCon event in Los Angeles this August! I’ve never been to this convention before, and I can’t wait to see what it has in store. Have any of you been before or are you attending this year? I’d appreciate any tips :) I’ll be going with my good friend and fellow blogger, The Posh Pursuit.
Get your tickets before the sell out! http://www.beautycon.com/tickets/
I’ve been using this targeted tone corrector* from Aveeno Positively Radiant for about 2 weeks now, and think the product is great! The product claims to, “help reduce the look of stubborn dark spots, discolorations, and uneven tone to improve skin’s radiance in just 2 weeks. The concentrated formula combines clinically proven ACTIVE NATURALS® Total Soy Complex, one of nature’s most effective tone correctors, with vitamin A for faster results. It is oil free, noncomedogenic and nonirritating.”
I really don’t have sun spots – so I can’t speak to that but it’s definitely helped with any uneven skin tone I have. I really enjoy using this treatment after cleansing/toning, but before my moisturizer. It’s almost acted as a primer before my makeup application, making my skin appear more even and fill in my pores. I haven’t really noticed it helping my uneven skin tone in the long term, but it helps with the short term/day of. It just helps to make my skin appear a little more “perfect” – which who wouldn’t love?! It retails for about $15.
Disclaimer: Items marked with a * were either sent to me for consideration or given to me as gifts. Everything else was bought on my own!
Veet Launches Infini’Silk line
The new Veet Infini’Silk line is “the brand’s first Pulsed Light FDA-cleared permanent hair reduction devices” (DSN). Veet promises to replicate the same permanent results you see from salons in your own home. You’ll see smooth results in 4-5 treatments. The collection features 2 varieties (one is rechargeable and the other is not) ranging from $250-$300.
Maybelline Expands Portfolio with New Eye, Lip, and Face Products
- The Nudes Palette – 12 shades in both matte and shimmery varieties. *on my beauty wish list – have any of you tried this palette yet??*
- Dream Wonder Fluid Touch Foundation – a lightweight foundation that doesn’t appear cakey on the skin with a teardrop applicator.
- Eye Studio Color Tattoo 24HR Leathers Cream-Gel Shadow – these color tattoo eye shadows stay in place all day long, available in 5 shades: Chocolate Suede, Creamy Beige, Deep Forest, Dramatic Black, and Vintage Plus.
- Master Kajal Eyeliner – cone shaped tip applicator in a creamy formula, available in 4 shades: Charcoal Skies,Midnight Brown, Navy Night, and Onyx Rush.
- Baby Lips Crystals – these shimmery lip balms provide clinical moisture to lips as well for visibly renewed lips in about 1 week.
- Color Show Nail Lacquer Jewels and Veils – the nail polish formula contains over-sized gem particles for extra glitz.
Oral-B SmartSeries Toothbrush Now Available with Bluetooth
The toothbrush was released in the UK this year, and will be coming to the US in fall 2014. The toothbrush will work with the free Oral-B app on iOS with Android coming in August. The app and toothbrush work to create personalized brushing patterns and routines to maximize and improve your oral health care.
What vegetable is more perfect in the summertime than corn?! Growing up in Indiana, I’ve been eating corn on the cob during the summer for as long as I can remember. This recipe puts a fun twist on that concept in a seasonal, hearty, yet healthy soup. The recipe comes from the Lemonade cookbook (Los Angeles restaurant featuring Southern California comfort food), with my own special twist. It’s easy to do and makes for great leftovers!
Summer Corn Chowder
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 celery stalks, halved lengthwise and chopped
- 2-4 garlic cloves, chopped (depending on your preference and clove size)
- 1 tsp coarse pink salt (available at Trader Joe’s or you can substitute another coarse variety like Sea Salt)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground, coarse black pepper
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- About 48oz fat free vegetable broth (1.5 quarts)
- 1 Idaho potato, peeled and diced
- 5 ears fresh corn, peeled and kernels cut from cob
- 2 cups half and half
- Chopped green onions for garnish
Note: tbsp = tablespoon and tsp = teaspoon
Here’s all how you make it:
- Coat a large soup pot with the olive oil and put over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion, celery, and garlic. Cook and stir until the veggies begin to soften (about 10 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the thyme, cayenne, and flour. Cook and stir for about 2 minutes to incorporate the flour, breaking any clumps.
- Pour in the broth, increase the head to medium-high, and bring to boil.
- Add the potatoes and simmer until tender (about 15 minutes), stirring occassionally.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the corn and half and half. Gently simmer until the soap is has thickened slightly, about 5-10 minutes. Garnish with the green onions.
Get ready with me as I celebrate my 25th birthday night out in LA at the Hudson in West Hollywood with friends! This video features some highlights before the celebration. Let me know below if you’d like to see a more detailed step-by-step process.
What are your favorite products to use for special occasions?
-Crop Top, Forever21 (Spring/Summer 2014 collection)
-Skater Skirt, Victoria’s Secret Pink
-Wedges, Jeffrey Campbell
-Jewelry, Caravella New York Watches & Shop Jami
-Purse, Rebecca Minkoff
Royalty Free Music Details:
It’s that time of year – lowest sale of the season at Ulta on their jumbo shampoos and conditioners! Head to Ulta if you want to take advantage of these offers. The big jumbo sizes last me up to a year and range from about $12-$22.
I picked up this Matrix Biolage Hydra conditioner, but they also have big brands like Bed Head, Big Sexy Hair, Redken, Wella, AG, Chi, and more! You also get this free pump with any purchase! Which ones did you pick up?
Who else loves when The Balm is on sale at Hautelook?! I know I do! I recently invested in a few new pieces for my makeup collection. Just a tip – if you’re interested in trying out The Balm, wait until they have an event on Hautelook. The brand is featured every few months at very discounted prices.
I opted for the “Frat Boy” blush and infamous “Meet Matt(e) Nude” palette. I want to give you a full run down on my overall thoughts along with swatches of each pigment. I got each item on sale for about 50% off.
Overall, I think the Meet Matt(e) Nude palette is a great palette for all you matte eyeshadow lovers! If you’re into shimmery shades, it’s definitely not for you. I’ve found it hard to find an entirely matte palette and jumped at the chance to invest in this one. Overall, the quality of the shadows is very good. I will say – I don’t think it’s as good as my holy grail Lorac Pro Palette, but this is a close second. I think this palette definitely gives me more matte options than the Lorac one.
The shadows are perfect for an everyday look or to glam up a more dramatic eye. The shadows are creamy, pigmented, and blend nicely. They all go very nicely together. I’d say my favorite shades (based on swatching affect and uniqueness) are Matt Singh and Matt Abdul. Matt Lombardi seems like an awesome blending color, but I had higher hopes for Matt Hung. The color pay-out wasn’t as great there (in the below swatch – this shadow took several more coats to show up).
Swatches are featured starting at the top left (Matt Johnson) and read like a book finishing with Matt Hung.
I think I’ve found my new holy grail blush! This peach color seems perfect for a variety of skin tones and has such great color pay out. It’s long lasting and looks very natural, which I love. This peachy shade is especially perfect for fairer skin tones, but I see it working with a variety of shades.
I’m very happy with my purchases, and who doesn’t love The Balm’s adorable packaging?? :)